Friday, September 28, 2012

"Do you sell your shawls?"

This is the question I receive all the times. I always have with me some knitting project, that creates a lot of curiosity. Yesterday I took my daughter to the playground, I was carrying my travelling project (crocheted squares at the moment) and a couple of shawls to photograph. Other moms were there, some "old" some "new". 
- "...what a beautiful red, do  you sell this shawl?"
- "No, I don't sell my shawl, I gift them or I wear them."
- "Why don't you sell them? I would buy one."
- "If you want I can teach you how to knit them."
- "Mhm, I'm not patient... why don't you knit one for me, for xmas? I'd pay you."
- "Thanks for your offer but I don't sell them."
- "The yarn is beautiful, where do you buy it? I love this color. Your friends are lucky."
This is the kind of conversation I experience most of the times. I rarely try to explain that I'm a knitwear designer addicted to shawl knitting. When I say: 
- "I don't sell my knitted shawls I sell my patterns." 
I witness a puzzled face. So I start explaining what I do... Let's face it, I have a secret life!
Here it's the guilty red:

Questa e' la domanda che mi rivolgono ogni volta. Porto sempre con me un lavoro a maglia, questo suscita molta curiosita'. Ieri ho portato mia figlia ai "giardinetti", portavo il progetto da viaggio (delle mattonelle all'uncinetto) ed un paio di scialli da fotografare. Ho incontrato altre mamme, alcune che conoscevo gia' altre no.
- "...che bel rosso, lo vendi questo scialle?"
- "No, non vendo i miei scialli, li regalo o li indosso."
- "Perche' non li vendi? Io ne comprerei uno."
- "Se vuoi, ti insegno a lavorare a maglia."
- "Mhm, non ho pazienza... perche' non me ne fai uno per Natale? Te lo pago."
- "Grazie ma non li vendo."
- "La lana e bellissima, dove la compri? Bello questo colore. Le tue amiche sono fortunate."
Questa e' la scena tipo che si verifica ogni volta. Raramente provo a spiegare che sono una designer di maglia, maniaca per gli scialli. Quando provo a dire: "Non vendo i miei scialli, vendo i pattern." Il mio interlocutore fa delle facce spettacolari. Cosi' mi lancio nella spiegazione di cosa "sono"... 
Ecco a voi il rosso responsabile:
 
Soon To Be Published



No comments:

Post a Comment